Thursday, January 30, 2014

Delhi day 3 and Amritsar

Woke up and went adventuring.  Hopped on the metro and went to Cannaught Place.  Naturally, my first stop there was Starbucks.  I was determined it would be.  Even though that meant wandering for 30 minutes looking.  After CP, I walked to India Gate.  India Gate is a memorial to the over 70,000 Indian men who died fighting for Great Britain during WWI. (Pictures of India Gate are trapped on my good camera).
Teddy at Starbucks

Auto Rickshaws at a stop light
I left India Gate and walked to Khan Market for some good grub at a place called Khan Chacha.  Then I continued on down the road to Lodhi Garden.  I saw Shish Gumbad and Bada Gumbad, a couple tombs within the garden.

Chicken masala... mmm
I kept walking and met Karuna's friend, Emily, at Humayun's Tomb.  It's the first substantial example of Mughal architecture in India.

Humayadun's Tomb
 Then I walked with Emily and Courtney to Nizamuddin Dargah on our way to where they live.

Nizamuddin Dargah

I ate dinner with them, but had to leave before their weekly prayer night because I had to catch my bus to Amritsar.

Waiting for my bus to Amritsar
After being on the bus for 12 hours (it was supposed to take 8.5), I headed straight for the Golden Temple.  It was super foggy, but I walked the whole way around anyway.  People stand in line for up to an hour to go into the temple and then get a free handful of food.  I had to gear up for that and didn't do it on my first time.  Then I wandered around Amritsar.  I knew where the coffee shop I wanted to go to was, but apparently I didn't know where I was, so I wandered.  I eventually found it and just sat and watched for a while.  I also happened to see some sort of festival, so there were elephants in the street.

Teddy and the Golden Temple

Golden Temple through a gate

Elephant!
Then I wandered a bit more before heading up to the India-Pakistan border at Wagah.  Each day they do a crazy ceremony each day just before sunset, open the gates between the countries, lower the flags, shake hands, and close the gates.  It was a good time. (Pictures trapped on camera until I get home).

Then I went back to the Golden Temple to see it lit by night.  It was super pretty.  I had pumped myself up during the day, and the line was shorter, so I went into the temple this time.  It's super ornate.  Then I got my handful of awesome food.  I lost my token for the bag check (I think because I was trying to take a picture of a fish with my phone) and had to do some convincing to get my bag back.  Then I went back to Cafe Coffee Day (for the third time) and killed some time and watched some people.  After a bit of chilling at the coffee shop, I got back on a bus for another 10 hours.

No comments: