Wednesday, February 17, 2010

intestines

So when I was in Seattle over Christmas I went to yet another new doctor who insisted on testing me for parasites. And yet again, he found nothing. So then he decided to test for Celiac disease (Gluten intolerance). So I hauled by bum back to Seattle to get some blood drawn so he could test this theory out. In the mean time I was told to have no gluten. Great. Awesome. But it actually helped a little. Amazed at how much gluten infests every food I took for granted, I avoided it (with one little setback that I paid for later) and felt amazing. So I was pretty sure I had this gluten intolerance thing. But wait. I finally talk to the doctor yesterday and the says that I don't have the gene that is present in all people with celiac, but I do have some genetic variations that resemble the disease and could make me more prone to intolerance or an allergy. What the heck does that mean? So don't eat gluten (bread, pasta, beer...) for the rest of my life on a hunch? REALLY? So I'm kinda back where I was before... Still feel ok... Have no idea what sets off that magical combination of ingredients that sets my intestines loose like a psycho doing the luge. So it looks like I might be heading to Seattle again in the not too distant future for, you guessed it, more tests. Someday I might actually get rid of all the remnants of the stomach funk formerly known as Pedro.

1 comment:

Alissa Maxwell said...

At least you've had some positive results eliminating gulten. Not a fun diet to have to be on, but if it makes you feel better? I have a friend that has a gluten issue, but she allows herself occassional exceptions when she decides the item is worth the suffering later - a good beer or an amazing scone. At least it's not celiac in the sense that you go into massive organ shutdown...