Monday, February 3, 2014

More wandering in Delhi

I woke up at 5:00 so I could watch the Super Bowl online.  WORTH IT!  Then I spent some of the morning trying to figure out what is open on Mondays.  I decided to start in Connaught Place and head to a recommended lunch spot.  Then I walked over to Jantar Mantar.  It was constrcted in 1724. Maharaja Jai Singh of Jaipur who built this observatory went on to build other observatories in Ujjain, Varanasi and Mathura. Jai Singh had found the existing astronomical instruments too small to take correct measurements and so he built these larger and more accurate instruments.
Teddy at Jantar Mantar
Then I walked toward the President’s Palace.  I saw a cool-looking school, Gurdwara Rakabganj Sahib.   I didn’t actually get to the President’s Palace because I needed to show ID and didn’t have mine on me, so I kept walking.  I saw the Cathedral Church of the Redemption, which was pretty.  I saw a random garden called Talkatora, which had a pretty herb garden.  I saw a statue “in memory of the countless Indians, who generation after generation, struggled and sacrificed against foreign rule. Mahatma Gandhi’s leadership of the Indian National Congress finally won independence and Jawaharlal Nehru became the first Prime Minister of free India on 15 August 1947.”  I finally caught a glimpse of the Presidential Palace on my way to not seeing where Gandhi was assassinated (because it was closed on Monday).  I didn’t even get a picture of the outside of the place.  But I did get a picture of my reaction to not getting a picture. 


Gudwara Rakabganj Sahib
Cathedral Church of the Redemption
Herb garden at Talkatora
Presidential Palace
Statue dedicated to Indian who fought for independence
Kate not seeing Gandhi's assassination spot
Then I walked to Safdarjang’s Tomb.  It was built in 1753-54 by Shuja-ud-Daluah as a tribute to his father.  Shuja-ud-Daluah was a nawab, which is a title given by the reigning Mughal emperor.  The tomb is considered the last of the great Mughal architecture in India.  Then I got on the Metro and headed back to Karuna’s.  I walked over 9 miles on my random tour of the city.  Then I sat on my bum and watched a movie until Karuna came home.  We went out for some North Indian food and just chilled.

No comments: