February 4
I went to Akshardham, which "showcases the essence of India's ancient architecture, traditions and timeless spiritual messages. The Akshardham experience is an enlightening journey through India's glorious art, values and contributions for the progress, happiness and harmony of mankind." It was pretty cool. I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside, which bummed me out. Then I hopped back on the metro and went to see the sights of old Delhi. I tried to go see Delhi Public Library, but it scared me. Then I went to Red Fort, built in 1638 to keep out invaders. Across the street from Red Fort was Sri Digambar Jain Lal Mandir, which is the oldest Jain temple in India, built in 1656.
After Red Fort, I took a cyclorickshaw to Jama Masjid. Jama Masjid is the largest mosque in India. The courtyard can hold as many as 25,000 people. It was built in 1644.
After Jama Masjid, I tried to find Karim's, a famous food spot, but struck out. I ate at Pizza Hut instead. Fail. Then I walked to Rajghat, Gandhi's memorial. It was closed. Fail. I decided to go see Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, a the most prominent Sikh house of worship in Delhi. I took a wrong turn. Fail. Then I could only see it from outside. Fail. But I saw some cool things on the way... I saw a whole row of rickshaws. I saw a tree that was busting through a wall. I saw a couple hospitals, one of which had a tent city outside. I saw a random building with elephants on it called Kali Manor. And walking on the sidewalk is overrated, right? After 8.5 miles of walking, I went back to Karuna's for a bit to chill before going to dinner at Alice's house again. An Indian night club owner came to dinner too, which was pretty hilarious.
.JPG) |
| Normal sidewalk conditions |
.JPG) |
| Rajghat was closed. Kate was unhappy. |
.JPG) |
| So many tuk-tuks! |
.JPG) |
| Trees will make a way |
.JPG) |
| Elephant building! |
.JPG) |
| Sikh temple |
http://www.delhitourism.gov.in/delhitourism/tourist_place/akshardham_temple.jsp
No comments:
Post a Comment